Home NEWS British couple found dead in Mallorcan finca

British couple found dead in Mallorcan finca

A British couple who were found dead at their home in Spain´s Mallorca are suspected to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Police were alerted by the person who looks after the finca for the couple. He was asked to check up on them because their son who lives in the UK was unable to reach them and became worried over their lack of response to his calls.

The man who found the couple discovered one body on a chair and another in bed. It is thought that the couple had been lying there for around two days. They have been identified as Michael A, 62, and Sharon G, 56.

The grim discovery was made around 4pm on Monday, December 19. The property is situated near Selva, at the foot of the Tramuntana mountains. The area is regarded as one of The Balearic Islands´ most beautiful towns.

The Guardia Civil said that post-mortems had yet to take place. However, investigators are probing the theory the deaths were potentially linked to the faulty combustion of a butane gas heater or chimney inside the house. Forensic specialists were still at the scene on Monday night.

Firefighters called to the scene from Inca station have since confirmed that there was a smell of gas at the property. The butane gas was used for a stove with a chimney.

Joan Rotger, Selva’s mayor, told regional TV station IB3 the most probable hypothesis being considered was that of poisoning linked to gas combustion. Rotger visited the scene on Monday as soon as he was made aware of the news.

Previous articleMalaga court jails six firefighters for negligence
Next articleHouse prices in Malaga put local buyers out of reach